Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Not Happy

I saw this interview on rediff:

http://www.rediff.com/news/2007/jan/30inter.htm

And then, I went on to see the remarks by the readers. Some of the remarks were highly abusive of Gandhiji and Pandit Nehru.

Sad, very sad!

Btw, read Gandhiji’s autobiography some time back! Yeah, should have read earlier!

I read the original version written in Gujarati and I must say I was very impressed. As an average Indian, we don’t know much about Gandhi-the man, his life, his ideologies except for what we have seen in the ‘Gandhi Jayanti’ movies!

I highly recommend the book.

Another thing- while I was reading the book, I checked the total number of copies printed so far. It was a 2005 reprint and I don’t remember the total number of copies but if I assumed 10 readers per copy, the total number of readers wasn’t coming out to be even 10% of Gujarat’s total population! That, when the book is priced at 30 rupees.

Sad, very sad!

3 Comments:

Blogger Sigma said...

It is indeed sad to see people being disrespectful towards our great leaders. For most part I do not agree with Gandhiji's philosophy with regards to Indian politics, but even so, I will not dream of being disrespectful to a man who is so widely respected by the people of India.
As for people, and even those from Gujrat, not willing to read Gandhiji's autobiography, in its original form - it is not a matter of price, IMHO. There could be two prime reasons - most people do not have an interest in reading biographies, and most people do not read in Hindi or other regional languages (remember, some time back I had written a post lamenting the declining readership of hindi literature). Probably more number of people would have read the english translation than Gujrati, even in Gujrat.
But I think you are lucky to know howto read Gujrati, to be able to read it in the original language.

5:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmmm u r sad about a lot of things i see... I've read My experiments with truth.. and while i think everyone should read... i was not too impressed. But I was in school then.. may be i should read it again.. and perhaps can be more objective?

2:15 AM  
Blogger Leziblogger said...

Sigma: Well said! Though I think the reason for most people not reading the book is lack of interest in Gandhi, the man himself! And yeah, reading the book in Gujarati was a delight!

Bluespriite: I would recommend that you revisit the book! There is this one-liner; 'When you re-read a classic, you don't find more in the book than that was before, you find more in yourself than that was before!'

1:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home