Wednesday, January 17, 2007

A workman's observation!

I always reach my workplace on time. Just like you.
I mostly work nights. Just like you.
Thousands of tiny metal pieces shine just like you on my desk.
I have been doing the same thing for years together. Just like you.
There is nothing much to life except work. Just like you.
There are times when I work 7 days (err, nights) a week. Just like you.
My absence is always noted but my presence is taken for granted. Just like you.
In appreciation, all I get is words. Just like you.
There are so many like me, nothing much happens if I die. Just like you.
There are people who make a living out of observing people like me. There are also people who make a living out of observing you.
My work is studied by scientists. So is yours.
My every single movement at work is pre-determined and precise. So is yours.
I am paid peanuts. Hey stars, hopefully, God would be a better paymaster!

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This is good ... almost poetic :-) And I loved the "punch line".
And thanks for linking me.

8:06 AM  
Blogger Leziblogger said...

Hey,thanks so much!

3:14 AM  
Blogger Cuckoo said...

Nice thought and very well said !!

I am paid peanuts. Hey stars, hopefully, God would be a better paymaster!.. I liked it. Totally unexpected. :)

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice one!!

1:33 AM  
Blogger Leziblogger said...

Hey Cuckoo, thanks so much!

Canon, thanks!

10:23 AM  
Blogger Sigma said...

Didn't know where else to put this, so writing it in this space ....

Some time back you asked about this sher of Ghalib :
Aah ko chahiye ik umr asar hone tak
Kaun jeeta hai teri zulf ke sar hone tak.

sar hona means "conquer karna"

the sher means:

it takes forever for a "sigh" to take its effect
But I cannot live for ever, because it will take forever to conquer your beautiful hair.

What do you say ??

12:27 AM  
Blogger Leziblogger said...

Thanks Sigma! You remembered!

On the explanation, hmmmm, well, I still can't make out the connection between the two lines. Independently, both lines make great sense. But why would Ghalib put them one after another?

Another minor point, what can be this thing about conquering someone's hair? You might want to conquer heart or hand etc. Why 'Zulf'?

What do you think?

11:41 PM  
Blogger Sigma said...

Conquer could mean taming here - taming the unruly strands of hair.
What I understand from the two lines is that - A mere sigh takes a whole life to take effect. Taming the unruly locks would take so long, that I (Ghalib) cannot hope to live that long.

12:41 AM  
Blogger Sigma said...

I am not sure if you concluded that, but the first comment was from me. And there goes my anonymity :-))

12:43 AM  
Blogger Leziblogger said...

Aha! Now I understand the couplet! Thanks again!

I did figure out the first post was from you. Now, whenever I want to tease you, I can use your name. Right, Shalini? :-)

10:23 AM  
Blogger Sigma said...

Haha! you wouldnt be able to tease me that way :P

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home