Saturday, February 03, 2007

Tandoori hopes!

My host has a Tandoor in his backyard. I am happy just at the sight of it since Tandoors are such a rarity in Mumbai. (Well, for that matter, even backyards are!!!)

I can’t keep my eyes off the Tandoor. With burning wood at its heart, this little earthen edifice is like a sculpture to me!

I watch intently while the cook makes Fresh, thick rotis! I see the flames running wild. They are trying to get to the brim of the ‘Tawa’ and over it, as if to see what is taking their heat! On the ‘tawa’, a calm, steadfast round of dough is sitting pretty while trying to hold its own against the effervescent flames!

It is a worthy contest to watch. With a little bit of moderation from the cook, the dough takes the heat- and how! What was a cold, staid, sticky piece of dough is now hot, delectable, tandoori roti! It looks great, smells great and of course is great to eat! And while it rests a little more on my plate (so that I can take in the ‘earthy’ aroma a little more), I reckon it is looking at the tandoor and giving a proud smile back to the flames!

I indulge into this pure magic and silently hope that whenever my life is put on fire, it emerges like a well-cooked Tandoori Roti!

4 Comments:

Blogger Sigma said...

Ah! Lucky you! that the Tandoori roti's were well cooked, soft and had a pleasant aroma.
In my hostel during my college days, there was a tandoor in the mess. We queued up right till the tandoor to get our daily bread, hoping for a soft and crisp sample, but they invariably ended up like something that Goodyear invented ;-)

5:27 AM  
Blogger Leziblogger said...

:-)
btw, why are the kitchens in hostels called 'mess'? :-)

1:17 AM  
Blogger Cuckoo said...

Hmmm so simple thing and you have made it to a wonderful experience. Mere muh mein paani aa raha hai.

Being from north, garma-garam tandoori roti is one of my favourites.

lol@ur question to Sigma.. Not only in hostels.. go to army camp.They also have a mess. ;)

Ha Ha..

2:28 AM  
Blogger Leziblogger said...

:-)

12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home