Wednesday, May 09, 2007

In Top 'Gere'!

When we get a chance to criticize, we Indians express ourselves very strongly!

I have been thinking about the recent controversies and hence the conclusion!

We were shocked when we were thrown out of the world cup in the first round. This shock was expressed in large volumes for days together. I am sure some of the electronic media is still discussing it!

Then came Madira’s saree with Indian flag; another uproar!

Then was Sachin’s cutting of ‘Tiranga’ shaped cake! We were furious!

And finally was the Richard Gere- Shilpa Shetty controversy! We proved that we may get over with a world cup defeat but not with a kiss in public (that too involving a foreigner)!

As Indians, we have a right to have objections to all of the above. I am not arguing that!

What I find difficult to understand is the magnitude of our anger towards these events!

My problem with my countrymen is that we always raise our voice when all we need to do is raise an eyebrow!

3 Comments:

Blogger Cuckoo said...

My problem with my countrymen is that we always raise our voice when all we need to do is raise an eyebrow! Spot on !! Also, we don't know where exactly to point our fingers or utilize our energies.

Sportsmen don't play in well in a game, their houses are attacked, politicians get involved in murders, rape, & other 'minor' things, they are worshiped.

Did you see my picture post on similar view ?

10:29 AM  
Blogger Sigma said...

we always raise our voice when all we need to do is raise an eyebrow
I think you have summed up the situation very aptly.
I would just want to add that we do not even raise an eyebrow in many cases where we need to raise serious concern.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Leziblogger said...

Cuckoo: Know what, I have been thinking that the more we 'progress', the more we are getting superficial and it is typically true for an emotional race like us Indians. Be it our expression, be it our entertainment, be it our spirituality, we are happy just staying at the surface! We are becoming more 'street-smart' and less 'genuine'!

Yup, I did see your picture post! When the Kissing controversy happended, I thought of writing about it but forgot later on. Your picture post served as a reminder!

Sigma: I complete agree. We catch the rat but miss the mountain!

2:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home