Sunday, April 08, 2007

Page 123, Para 5!

Hood drummed the back of the chair. “What you’re saying then is that we may have a mole.”
“Conceivably.”
“How long would it have taken for someone to write a program to bring down the whole system?”
“Anywhere from hours to days, depending on how good they were. But that doesn’t mean the program was written on-premises. It could have been created anywhere and piggybacked in on the software.”
“But we check for that—“
“We check for sore thumbs. That’s basically what I’m doing now.”


That’s from page 123 of the book I am reading now. Actually the entire page contains nothing but the conversation. Depending upon the way I defined a ‘para’, most of the above were qualifying for ‘para’ 5, so rather then taking the trouble of analyzing further, I put the entire section.

Sigma tagged me to write the 5th para of page 123 of the book I was reading and hence the text above!

Many thanks, Sigma for the tag! Btw, the book is ‘Op-Centre’ by Tom Clancy.

It is about an intelligence outfit and not about software or programs as the above excerpt might suggest. Isn’t it strange that you are tagged to write Para 5 of page 123 of the book that you’re reading (all random variables), and the para turns out to be related to your profession! What would be the probability of that!

In that,I think lies the beauty of this tag!

6 Comments:

Blogger Sigma said...

Instead of me thanking you for taking the tag, you are thanking me for giving you one! ;-)
All I can say is, you are welcome!!
You seem to have been missing for quite a while ... In this while, I have started a new blog, which, looking at this post, you might find of interest - Coding Misadventures.

12:06 AM  
Blogger Leziblogger said...

Yup, I haven't been able to write for a while! I did see your post about the new
blog! I am not hands-on with C/VC or unix but will take a look at the
'misadventures'!

6:25 AM  
Blogger Sigma said...

Ah! There goes the hopes of my new blog to have readers, leave alome contributors :-) Few regular readers on my blog, s/w people are rarer still, and not one of them into C :-D

9:57 AM  
Blogger Cuckoo said...

Well, since you are doing tags, let me take this opportunity to tag you. :)

Would you care to do a tag for me ? Check my blog.

@Sigma:IT is very vast. :)

8:42 PM  
Blogger Leziblogger said...

Sure, I will! I might take a few days to do justice to this one, but I will
take this up!

Thanks, Cuckoo!

8:29 PM  
Blogger Sigma said...

Ha ha. I am not trying to coerce you into going there, if it is going to be all greek and latin :-D

@Cuckoo: I know, I know :-D. But still .... I wish someone would read out of technical interest :-))

5:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home